Under the unforgiving Thanalan sun lie the ruins of an ancient temple half-devoured by the shifting sands of a timeless desert. Though used by ancient Belah’dians as a place to worship the sun goddess Azeyma, the massive underground structure appears to be far older than this Sixth Astral Era civilization. That, however, did not deter Belah’dian sultans from each adding their own chambers to the original construct in a bid to achieve immortality through creation. In the subsequent years since the fall of Belah’dia, many an adventurer has sought to explore the temple’s mysteries and perhaps return with the treasure of a lost era…only to fall victim to one of the complex traps set to prevent that very thing from happening
Where is Sunken Temple of Qarn located? Located in Southern Thanalan, east of Little Ala Mhigo.
Sunken Temple of Qarn General Information
Things start getting interesting from here on! Qarn is actually a very small map but the boss mechanics can be tricky for first timers. This is the first dungeon where you have to interact with the items on the map to succeed. There is also a lot of treasure in this dungeon, some will be easily missed
Qarn Facer – there will be a block of concrete with a face that shows up multiple times in the dungeon and runs away before you can kill it. This guy holds a coffer and drops it if you kill it before you reach the final boss. Make sure you do as much damage as you can each time he appears.
Stone Relics – there are 4 Stone Relics you should pick up in the temple, they will be your key to the treasure later on. The Helm of Might, The Gem of Affluence, The Flame of Magic, and The Fruit of Knowledge.
Avoirdupois – some more stone faces show up continually in the dungeon, you must kill them on top of the glowing stones as showed in the picture below in order to open doors.
Stone Pedestals – you will notice stone pedestals where you can place the Stone Relics you picked up earlier, these pedestals are marked with the stone you should place, if you put in the wrong stone, mobs will spawn before the door opens. (it is unsure if placing the wrong stone will affect the quality of loot you receive)
The Scales of Judgement – before you enter the last boss, you will find scales wherein you can place some of the Stone Relics you picked up earlier, if you explored the dungeon well enough you would have seen a similar pattern shown at the start of the dungeon. The two stones are the Flame of Magic on the left and Fruit of Knowledge on the right (scales of Ul’dah anyone?)
Sunken Temple of Qarn Bosses
First Boss: Teratotaur Strategy
Teratotaur has a nice mechanic, he has an uncurable Doom spell which he randomly casts once he is below 50% life. (TIP: this can be countered by any action which grants Pacification). His adds also have an attack which deals fatal damage (Final Sting) so make sure to kill them as soon as possible while the tank keeps Taratotaur busy.
- Frightful Roar (PBAoE): Causes Physical Vulnerability for those caught in the AoE, this can be stunned.
- Mow (cone attack): Poison damage, can also be disrupted through stun.
- Mortal Flay (doom): Once caught, the only way to dispel the doom effect is to step on one of the glowing stones.
Second Boss: Temple Guardian Strategy
We like to call him mini Titan, before you can damage the Temple Guardian you must first destroy the Golem Soulstone, which will incapacitate him and give you time to deal damage to him. From experience you have to go through this cycle 4 times until he is defeated. The tricky part about this boss is that even though your tank has emnity he can still do his skills at will to any party member so watch out! Tank tip: keep him as far away as possible from the rest of the party!
- Boulder Clap (Cone frontal AoE): The Guardian claps his hands violently in front of him
- Rockslide (Frontal Line Attack): Shakes the earth in front of the Guardian which damages all players in front of it
- Random Stun: The Guardian dashes at a random party member, knocks them back and stuns them for a duration of about 3 seconds
- Obliterate (map wide AoE): The Guardian jumps and lands dealing AoE damage to the whole party
Final Boss: Adjucator Straegy
Watch our video on how to beat Adjucator here:
Adjucator has 4 phases, each phase increases in difficulty and mechanics.
First Phase (Full life)
- Darkness (frontal cone): Does big damage, but can be disrupted with well timed stuns.
- Sun Juror (Adds): Must be killed on top of a glowing block otherwise they will come back to life, just like the Avoirdupois earlier
Second Phase (75% life)
- Mithril Verge: Adjucator spawns beacons of light which shoot out lasers at random party members. These Verge’s can be killed and avoided easily but if you get hit they deal big damage.
- Paralyze (random): Paralyzes one target randomly
Third Phase (50% life)
- Creeping darkness: Map wide AoE which he does at random until he dies
- Mithril Verge (bomb type): Verge’s will now pop up and will be encased in a box of light, after a few seconds the light becomes a wall which you cannot enter, make sure the nearest party member enters the light to destroy the verge otherwise the verge will explode and deal huge map wide AoE damage
Final Phase (25% life)
- Mithril Verge (multiple spawn): 4 Verge’s will spawn across the room targetting random party members intertwining their lasers (yes, you can potentially be hit by more than 1 laser so watch out!). Key is just to kill the verge’s immediately and avoid the lasers while doing so, this is a fun test of position for your tank.