Named after a man-eating creature from ancient Padjali folklore, the Thousand Maws of Toto Rak was built on the site of a natural cave system beneath Silent Arbor. Until recently, it held all of Gridania’s foulest criminals, from arsonists to poachers, but the completion of a new gaol closer to the city heralded its abandonment.
In your quest to delve into the Thousand Maws of Toto Rak you will find ‘Magitek Photocells‘ either lying in rooms or after defeating encounters. These photocells are required to activate ‘Magitek Terminals‘, there are 2 such terminals in the dungeon, located in the Confession and Fools Rest chambers, each of which have a mini-boss encounter (Coeurl of Nine Tails) before you can activate them. Finally, activating the terminals will lead you to the final boss Grafflas
- Party Size: Four
- Either a disciple of war or magic
- Level: 23 (sync from 25)
- Time Limit: 90mins
- Once you are Level 23, you may visit the entrance of Toto Rak to be able to enter the dungeon
How to get to The Thousand Maws of Toto Rak
Toto Rak is located in The South Shroud, NE from Buscarron’s Druthers and SE from Gridania (Blue Badger Gate)
The Thousand Maws of Toto Rak Map/General Strategy/Tips
It is beneficial to note the different kinds of enemies you will face in Toto Rak, you will encounter groups of enemies composed of several of these types: (We have only posted note worthy enemies, others you will encounter are standard type mobs)
- Pterocs: dragons that breathe cone based fire attacks
- Mun-Tuy Saplings and Mitetraps: ranged enemies that stay in place, they have some knock-back ability also
- Elementals: deal lightning damage
- Puddings/Gel/Flan: deal poison attacks
- Sticky Web: when you notice a web covered arch, these webs will suck players near it, push them forward and create a barrier to close of those who have been separated. Players can destroy the web by attacking it from both sides
- Fleshy Pods: When damaged even the slightest bit, these explode with AoE damage. Eliminate them from afar
The Thousand Maws of Toto Rak Boss Strategy
Coeurl of Nine Tails
- On your first encounter with Coeurl, the fight is straightforward, just defeat it as fast as you can, use a DPS limit break as the gauge will fill before you meet Grafflas, the final boss.
- On your second encounter with the Coeurl, at about 50% health it will spawn an AD (Wardens Whip). From experience we suggest to take the AD down as the Coeurl can potentially spawn more than one therefore putting more stress on the TANK and HEALER.
- Note that the Coeurl does a PBAOE poison, but nothing much to be worried about.
Grafflas is the first boss which is fairly tricky to beat if in an uncoordinated party. Grafflas features various mechanics as shared below:
- Upon entering Grafflas’ chamber he will be surrounded by ‘Fleshy Pods‘, make sure the DPS dispatches of them immediately as Grafflas will later use them by pushing your tank towards.
- Sticky Web Ability: Periodically throughout the fight, Grafflas will cast this ability which spawns a Sticky Pod at one of your party members feet. Be conscious of this and stay clear to destroy the pod at a safe distance.
- ADS (Comesmite): At about 60-70% health Grafflas will spawn 2 Comesmites. It is important to defeat them before focusing on Grafflas again. Tip: If your party has a THM, have them cast sleep on one Comesmite to make the encounter easier
- Losing Skin: At roughly 50% health Grafflas will lose his skin and in effect expose his tail. This will add a new mechanic to the fight, where his tail lays down AoE poison marked by a Green circle. Stay away from this area, it deals massive damage! Your goal at this point is to target the tail and the poison circles will stop.